We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We make sure the UK military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.
Our people push for best-in-class every day – because it helps keep our nation safe. So whatever your background, whatever your skill set, if you’re driven to set new standards, find your place with us. Ready to see where your ambition will lead you?
We have a challenging and interesting opportunity to join us as a Logistics Support Officer within our Salvage and Marine Operations (SALMO) Team.
Please be advised that this post is based at a location within 10 miles of the MoD Abbey Wood address above, and in-office attendance will be expected as required.
Logistics Support Officers are key to ensuring SALMO successfully deliver operations in the UK and overseas. Our logistics team arrange import and export of key equipment, and transportation in support of overseas operations, whilst in the UK they manage the warehouse to ensure sufficient stocks are available and accounted for and support the team by managing the facilities, small scale low value procurement and other infrastructure e.g., department vehicles.
The SALMO team are the lead across the MoD for the provision of marine salvage and emergency response. The team includes Master Mariners, Marine Engineers, Naval Architects, Environmental Scientists, ROV Pilots and Divers who provide a centre of expertise for subsea activities and marine operations. The operations are varied and include salvage assistance to damaged surface vessels, location of aircraft on the sea-bottom, survey of WWII wrecks, towage of warships and submarines, emergency response preparedness exercises and underwater engineering support to rectify defects on Navy platforms at home and overseas.
The SALMO team are flexible, highly trained, and multi-skilled and are ready to respond at short notice worldwide.
Due to the security requirements, this role is reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Please also note that the successful applicant will be required to undertake DV clearance once in the post.
About the role
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
- Store’s accounts and inventory, facilities management of a maintenance workshop and warehouse, along with conducting Low Value Purchases.
- Being the Key enabler for the deployment of personnel and equipment in direct support of operations.
- Timely Outward and Return Logistics of equipment including dangerous goods by land, sea and air using MOD and Commercial contracts.
- Assisting colleagues to plan and manage platform/equipment spares, availability, and reliability.
- Communicating with a wide range of stakeholders both within the MoD and Industry.
- Performing duties overseas on short notice in direct support of operations as a member of the deployed team.
- Being a full member of the team and trained in all aspects of operational requirements and duties.
- Ensuring essential maintenance to the facilities appearance and functionality is undertaken along with any emergency repairs necessary to keep the premises compliant with legal requirements.
- Occasional driving of vehicles to move stores & equipment between various UK sites.
Please note you will be required to -
- Travel regularly to other MoD locations within the UK and occasionally overseas.
- Undertake and maintain 2 yearly seafarers medical (ENG1) to be achieved within 12 months of appointment.
- Enlist as a Royal Navy Sponsored Reserve – The business manager will guide you through this, once you are in post.
- Have a high level of physical fitness, as the role shall involve physical tasks during operations and manual handling within the warehouse.
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of working in a delivery environment in a support role.
- Ability in managing and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrable communication skills with Internal and external stakeholders.
- Holder of a Full UK driving licence.
- GCSE level qualifications (or equivalent), including grade C/4 in English and Mathematics.
It would also be great if you can demonstrate any of the following desirable criteria:
- Familiar with Stores Management Systems.
- Experience in Transport Management.
- Experience in Freight forwarding.
- Dangerous Goods Consignor qualified for Road, Sea, and Air.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Managing support, supplier, and customer networks - Awareness level
- Making evidence-based decisions - Awareness level
- Communicating and influencing
- Managing a quality service
We're pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Funding for qualifications and subscriptions to professional associations, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £26,000.00-£28,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Work from home
Work Location: Hybrid remote in BRISTOL
Reference ID: ORC827