Reports to: Marine Manager
Vacancy Ref: 894-SG
Contract: Seasonal (March - October 2023)
Rate of pay: £53,415
Location: Small Ferries Pool
Shift Pattern: 1 week on / 1 week off
Date advertised: 17 November 2022
Closing date: 01 December 2022
Caledonian MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited
Caledonian MacBrayne Crewing (Guernsey) Limited employs and supplies all sea going staff to CalMac Ferries Limited. There are currently 33 ferries serving 52 ports on 29 routes providing 145,000 sailings per year.
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information, please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us.
Benefits of a career with CalMac Ferries Limited
- A rewarding career
- A competitive salary
- Excellent training, development, and career progression
- 28 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner, and dependents
Applications are invited for the seasonal position of Skipper to sail within the Small Ferries Fleet. Candidates should be aware that they may be required to sail on any of the vessels operated by CalMac Ferries Limited and may be required to travel at short notice.
The Skipper is in command over all departments and has authority to take whatever actions are necessary for the safety of passengers, crew and the vessel, protection of the environment and proper conduct of the voyage.
Functional Responsibilities/Key Tasks
- The safety of the passengers
- The implementation of and compliance with the Company Management System (including the ISM Code)
- Motivating the crew in the implementation of the Company Management System.
- Ensuring that the vessel is fully manned according to MCA Requirements.
- Ensuring that all stability criteria are met at all times.
- Ensuring that all lifesaving and firefighting equipment is in good working order and necessary drills are carried out.
- Ensuring that the vessel is navigated safely at all times.
- Ensuring that official logbook is up to date.
- Co-ordinating all emergency procedures in the event of an emergency.
- Ensuring requirements of PC including exemptions are complied with.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Applicants should possess as a minimum STCW2010:
o Personal Survival Techniques
o Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
o Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting
o Elementary First Aid
- ENG1 Medical Certificate (no limitations)
- Boatmaster Tier 1 Level 2.
- Passenger ship endorsement.
- RoRo endorsement.
- Command experience
- STCW II/3 Master (Near Coastal, 500GT) CoC
- Valid UK Drivers Licence
- Please be aware that your certification must be valid for the duration of the summer season. If your certificates expire during your contract, it is your responsibility to book and pay for their renewal.
- This role will run during our summer season which is between March 2023 and October 2023. You must have no holidays booked within this time. Please note that not all contracts will run for the full summer season.
Values & Behaviours
To navigate the waters, ensuring life thrives wherever we are
VALUES & BEHAVIOURS:
We lead by example and inspire others to give their best.
We work constructively with colleagues in a 'one team' spirit.
We put the customer at the heart of everything we do.
Weare accountable for our actions and performance.
We demonstrate good judgement and decision making.
We act with integrity in all that we do.
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information
as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunity employer as such our selection processes
are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email at
The Selection Process
If you are interested in this role, please ensure that you complete the only application as fully as possible.
It is important that you demonstrate on your CV how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
If you apply for this role and your application is unsuccessful, we will, as part of the Equality Act 2010, retain your application for 1 year after the role is filled and then destroy this.